A+ A- A Main Content
Dental Insurance Credentialing Tips
Setting up a solid dental insurance credentialing management and tracking process will help your dental practice stay on top of status updates and communications with insurance companies. When putting this process together, it’s important to be aware of the common mistakes that can be made and have tips on how to avoid them.
Insurance Credentialing Tips
Below are a few tips on how to avoid making common dental insurance credentialing:
- Make sure your malpractice insurance is up-to-date. The insurance credentialing approval process can take up to 90 days, so if your policy is set to expire during this time period, we recommend extending it.
- Plan for and allow plenty of time (around 3-6 months) for the approval of your dental insurance credentialing. This is not a quick process, which can be a huge frustration for dentists. Approval can have an impact on the patients you can see and whether they’re in-network or out-of-network.
- Make sure you’ve completed each and every application response. Even if the question doesn’t apply, fill it in with “N/A.” If responses are left blank, insurance companies sometimes consider the response incomplete.
- Follow up with the insurance companies in a consistent but friendly manner (usually on a weekly basis) until you have confirmation. Reaching out over email is the best method because it provides a written record of communication.
- Keep a spreadsheet with details that record the status of each application including the insurance company name, the contact information, the call log, and detailed notes regarding communication.
Dealing with dental insurance credentialing is a detailed and frustrating process that requires non-stop management and a very diligent follow-up. But, as frustrating as it may be, insurance credentialing is a necessary process for dental practices and doctors.
For help with insurance credentialing and anything else your dental practice may need assistance with, please call CTC Associates today!
Posted on Mar 23, 2020
Image Credit: File ID 15201360 | © Outline205 | Dreamstime.com